Friday, August 8, 2008

Drip Feed Systems Paying Off




Hello everyone.... I feel like I have not written in so long.  I have to be honest Alison, John, Amber and I took a few days on the coast for some relaxation from the craziness we call the teams.  What an amazing couple of months and sad to see them leave and excited to get back to work on the projects.   Speaking of projects, I wanted to show some progress in the ShoSho Shamba.  You might remember it was started from a land donation by a local friend and started with the K-State professors along with the wonderful Grandmothers of the community.  Well, take a look at those photos they show the growth of the first drip feed system in two months.  So exciting knowing the creative technology brought by a team is showing such great success.  The various vegetables are definitely grown much quicker and fuller than those we have planted using traditional methods.   It just goes to prove that we can with minimal investment increase yields and decrease water usage.  I know this might all sound so boring, agriculture mumbo jumbo, but this really is a key technology we can roll out to the community.  Improving nutrition for families is top on our list along with reducing the need to purchase crops on the general market.  Who know?  If a family had a big enough plot they could even sell from this system.  

I also included the sack gardens and the one that looks the fullest was also built and planted as a team of Grandmas and Professors.  I swear I don't know who taught who more.  These simple sack gardens not only reduce water usage but allow for many plants to be grown on a very minimal footprint.  The plants you see here are Sakuma Weeke, a main green that is eaten during most meals.  It grows up on a stalk and the family can pick the leaves needed and the plant just keeps growing more.  This way you don't kill the plant but use it over and over to feed the family.  The plan is to have 20 or so sack garden to demonstrate the successes.  

The last picture is good old Rocky holding court with the ShoShos.... There was a disagreement of whether CTC owned and controlled the garden or did the Grandmas.  Rocky very eloquently told them that it's their to take and run with .  Theirs to manage and reap the benefits.  CTC is simply here to fund certain aspects if needed but more so be a helpful hand.   They really appreciated that CTC is trying to not only give them opportunity, but also teaching them skills.  I a always in such admiration for these women.  They are the basis for the community, completely loyal, honest and so hard working.   Most will kick my ass in any work.  Might even in a fair fight.  They are tough woman and it humbles me to be able to work along side them.  It's a treat.

Sorry for the delay on writing to you all.  I'm back on the horse and ready to ride into some adventures and share what I see.   I've loved hearing from you so please keep you notes coming.  I miss you all and wish you were here.  Let me know if you ever want to come to Kenya.  Would love to see you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what a site to see!!! It is so good to see the Garden again and I will send the troops to your site! We miss you all!
ANN, KSU Kansas

Anonymous said...

Dear Nate,
This morning when I got to work I had an email from Herschel. This is a first he cannot remember his password so he has some questions for you that he wants answered. Al has his email and you know how he can be so please answer him!
1. Tell Rocky hi, and everyone else. ( thats not really from Herschel but all of us)
2.Have any of the shoshos built sack gardens or irrigation systems at their home shombas?
3. How much rain have you had since mid June?
4. What is the annual rainfall and waht season does it come in?
5. How are CTC beans doing?
5. How is the Health of the children at Good Shepard.
6. How is thier sack garden doing?

For Herschel by Ann