Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rare Flawless Day

Now not to sound negative but here in Kenya for a day to go smoothly with even some welcomed surprises is pretty rare. So I welcomed today with open arms, well more realized when I arrived home how wonderful was this Thursday.  So the day started out early, pick up good old Rocky at the junction of Kabuku at 8.  Well that started before the pick up with Zane arriving to tow the Pajero to the road to have enough speed to "pop" the clutch and get the damn thing started.  Actually, I shouldn't talk about the beast that way.  I have come to terms with the inevitability of this car causing issues, I'm at peace with her (don't tell Al I called her a her, she thinks it's a guy).  But then I have my own connection with the female auto.  

OK let's get back to the day.  Picked up Rocky to drive an hour or so to pick up a fuel efficient stove for Good Shepherd Orphanage, need to get those fuel costs down.  Well the funny part of the morning was because the car will not start on it's own, I could not turn "her" off.  So basically each stop I left the car running.  That ended up being pretty hilarious as it took a solid 20 minutes of waiting until the stove pick up was complete.   From there Big Rock and I went to the plastic company who are making custom boxes for us to use in the garden.  Upon arriving there and having a very productive discussion with the manager, car still on running out in the parking lot, I told him how we needed to run.   A car was still running and I needed to get to the Mitsubishi dealer to get it looked at.  The manager had the best news ever.  The mechanics across the road, who's his good friend, knew a lot about Pajeros and he'd make a call to get them to help.  And then another great surprise.  The guys at this shop actually were up front, quick and very knowledgeable.  Not to say that there aren't good mechanics in Kenya but I had yet to meet any.    The boys took a short time to take out the starter and just happened to have an extra in the back.   They popped it in and FINALLY a car that starts as it should.  And it cost at least a fourth of what it would have cost going to the dealer.

EUREKA!!!!  I swear the simple pleasures sometimes.  

And then I got more stupendous (never used that word before) news, as if this was not enough.  The son of the owner knew exactly where to get a Sheesha/Hooka (basically an Arabic pipe)...Yeah I know to many that may seem like a silly Eureka but I have been looking and when most were not that great and still cost 200-300 bucks here, well this was another EUREKA!!!   Rocky took a nap in the car (he calls it a siesta) never knew he had Spanish in him :)  Was able to bargain a smokin' deal on a beautiful Sheesha and tons of apple smokes to go along.   Came back tonight and sat outside, lit the smoke and listened to Bob Marley watching the sun come down.  There was something about having a day that was productive, surprising and all around enjoyable.   Oh and to boot Rocky and I had a fabulous lunch of roasted goat.   I know that must just make so many of your mouths water......NOT!!

1 comment:

el verde said...

So glad to hear you got "her" fixed, i know it wasn't fun for you, but i kinda liked pushing her down the road :) miss you, say hello to everyone for me, or maybe say "hola" to Rocky!