Thursday, May 29, 2008

Perfect day for a blog

What a day to start my first blog ever!  May 29th  is the anniversary of my "pops" passing.   I know that might sound heavy and it is a bit.   But I feel lighter than expected.  I'm sitting in my new nyumba (home) in Kenya.  I finished the big move this week.   And I feel extremely blessed to be allowed the chance to come work for Comfort the Children in Kenya and that I even had a father who was so inspirational.  Without his guidance, love and free-spirit all this would not be possible.   Some people say, and I have been proved to believe, that those close to us who have passed speak to us in tiny little ways.  From the beginning for me it's been hawks.  Yeah I know kind of odd.   They have been around many times during the past few years especially when I have thought a lot and deeply about pops.  Yesterday, I was sitting in the yard in front of the home, my first real day settled.  Above me on the tallest tree a screech kept drawing my attention.  And yes what could it be but a huge African hawk.  And above it gliding were two others.  And then today Alison, my roomie, were driving around Nairobi and I there was a hawk flying between two buildings.    And of course I have been thinking tons about my dad.    Hmmmm!!!  

So here it is......he's with me.  I know this.  And for that I am grateful.  The past 3 years have not been all that easy.  But the ups and downs have been a learning experience.   Not one I wish on anyone but meaningful just the same.   I used to think that when people would say "There is not a day that goes by I don't think of someone" they were over dramatizing.   Well I have learned they're right on.   There can be nothing or something that draws my attention to my father.  Reminds me of his huge bear hugs, intense love, total pride in me and his adoration for his family.   Luke, Mom and I were and I guess still are lucky.   For we have his legacy and each other.  Even if it was too short, pops taught me the true meaning of .........Livin' the Dream

And so that is why today is fitting and the title of my blog in Kenya is of the same title.....

 

6 comments:

zane said...

Brother Nate,

Love the blog...Livin' the Dream Kenya! As I read your words I felt the presence of something more, something very real about what this is all about. You're an inspiration...your old man would be...IS proud of you. Here's to "pops"...here's to you my friend...here's to all those you inspire and all those you will touch as you take this leap into the unknown.

Big love,

Z

Kuria said...

Hi friend,
Good to hear that you are finally in Kenya. Your words are so deep and thoughtful. What a better way to face life ... leaving a legacy. Though we may not be present in the body yet what we stood for continues to live for generations.
I am thankful for you and your commitment. I know good things will happen through your efforts. It is not in vain that you have given your life to people who need you so much. Blessings my brother in your stay in Kenya. I am joining you very soon.
J-Man

Luke Dillon said...

Big Bro,

You are truly an inspiration to all. Funny about the Hawk. Yesterday afternoon I was on my way into work and on 101 just before Candlestick perched on a light post... a huge red tail hawk.. later in the afternoon as I stepped outside for a brief moment.. soaring through the downtown buildings of SF... yet another Hawk.

Live your dream brotha.. the only way dad would have us live.

Love you,
Luke

//ds said...

beautiful.
thanks for sharing, nate d.
look forward to more posts; (doing all i can to get over there this summer).
this will be an amazing year; so much can be accomplished if we do everything we can; and then trust from there...
-d

el verde said...

thank you for sharing, try not to make me cry at work anymore though, k? Here's to 3 years, to your Pops, to you & living the dream!

see you soon buddy!

Unknown said...

Nathan,

You don't know me, but I am coming to Kenya on July 1 with CTC. Your blog really set the tone for me and reminds me why this work is so important. Life is short and there is so much we can do to make a difference during our short stay here on this planet. You are an inspiration and I can't wait to meet you!!!!

Janet